Saturday, 19 June 2010

Zines

A zine (an abbreviation of the word fanzine, or magazine; pronounced /ˈziːn/ "zeen") is most commonly a small circulation publication of original or appropriated texts and images. More broadly, the term encompasses any self-published work of minority interest usually reproduced via photocopier on a variety of colored paper stock.  A popular definition includes that circulation must be 5,000 or less, although in practice the significant majority are produced in editions of less than 100, and profit is not the primary intent of publication.  Wikipedia.

So, I ordered some zines - UK based ones for cheap P&P and speed.



One is a crafty one, one is a collection of observational drawings and one is an A-Z of sweet things.

Conclusions:-
prices vary but ~£2 plus 50p P&P for a small zine seems to be going rate.
Make sure the pages are bound - stapled or sewn
I like black and white line drawings (no surprise there!)
Make sure the pages are photocopied completely and clearly
I think I would like to add some hand stitching or colouring to my zine
I like the little extras - additional zine or personal note

Zine content varies alot! But I think mine will be list based...

Since starting my research I came across Katie Green (via Wild Olive) and her zine The Green Bean looks beautiful.... But it is a budget busting $9 (+$0.8 P&P)...  it is beautifully illustrated and looks like a keeper...

And then 74 Lime Lane linked to this post on Bang Back, where they proclaim Zines Matter (still).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...