Sunday, 19 December 2010

crayon roll

Yeah!  I have finally made one.  It has been on my to do list for a long time - as a simple roll or something more complicated.

My Four Year Old has never shown any interest in having one (despite having a huge collection of well used drawing materials).

So I've made one for my friend's little girl who is one year and a bit.  E loved her crayons then and we were lucky that she didn't eat stuff that shouldn't be eaten or scribble where she shouldn't.

This crayon roll is made from felt with a cotton pocket.  I used what I had to hand although initially I did buy some felt as I didn't think I had a big enough piece.  However I bought acrylic felt (which was all the craft shop had and I didn't have time to wait for my favourite wool blend felt to be delivered) and it is AWFUL!

I'm really pleased I managed to find some wool blend pieces big enough.

I used the same principles as my knitting needle roll but obviously smaller and less complicated.







I'm very pleased how it turned out and I really really like sewing with felt.

If I were to make it again I would change the following...

1. I used chubby crayons and took their thickness into account when making my pockets (4.5cm width) BUT I didn't take it into account when calculating the height of the pocket.  I think the pocket needs to be a little bit higher.

2.  I would sew the colour squares onto the pockets BEFORE I sew the thing up.  I didn't think of it until I had finished and popped all the crayons in.

3.   I would have done a different fastening as the ribbon covers the monogram on the front.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...