He brought it up last week for a visit... and I am smitten...
I use a laptop (a 'new' hand me down from hubby) and to a lesser extent a desktop PC. I use them for:-
- photo editing and storage
- creation of packaging and documents
- word processing
- document storage (mostly patterns & tutorials!)
- Internet use
My Internet usage is mostly:-
- Google Reader for the blogs I read
- home shopping - including groceries
- my blog
- The Woolly Brew
- social media - only Facebook really
- surfing! I currently use and highly recommend Evernote for 'clipping' ideas and info
- news and radio and I've been watching/listening to a few videos recently too
My laptop is perfectly adequate for all of these.
Add to that, I don't like computer games (apart from solitaire on my mobile phone). I don't watch movies or read fiction or indeed listen to music anymore and I don't have any desire to have 'facetime' with anyone. And I don't have an extensive social network to follow, like, share or tweet.... nor do I need to do much 'on the move'.
So why spend £399 on an entry level iPad (and £35 on a cover and maybe £20 on apps)? Especially when I have no income and there are many more pressing things to spend extra money on...
And especially when I will only use it for things I already do on my laptop and paper diary....
er... it will look nicer
Is that a good enough reason?
When I worked (a job that paid) and travelled, I had a Palm Pilot (circa 1996) and I remember being totally obsessed with that too and used it extensively for diaries and lists and note taking... I even learnt how to write using graffiti...