There is a terrace (actually shown from the front top right on the From the Windmill photo) which has an opening between the houses which reveals the Firth of Forth. Its was my favourite walk/view when we first moved here. To walk through a narrow gap and see the expanse of water (especially when the sun was bright, sky blue and water twinkling) was always uplifting.
I took this photo when I was researching design ideas for Sharon B's Sumptuous Surfaces class.
Its not very good as the water and sky are not clearly defined! I did like the concrete/brick structures framing the 'patch' of water and combined with the shadows it had potential.At the moment I'm considering taking this photo everyday in February (or as near to everyday as possible!). If these do not show enough variation in shadow then I'll do the same in March (and again in April). February may be too gloomy.
I then want to use only the outlines of the building and shadows to backstitch 16 small panels (2"x3", I think). I will then add some blackwork to the shadows. All in black!
I want to show the view over time, like a sampler, but keep it graphic in style...

This will end up quite a large piece and I admit that this is being dictated by a frame I already have and want to use. This may be a mistake but hopefully I'll find out early on in the stitching!
1 comment:
This sounds wonderful. So looking forward to watching you develop this.
Post a Comment