Monday, 15 December 2008

Studio Journal - Location Location

Last month I bought the new book by Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn - Location, Location.

It came after I had made a proposal to be part of an exhibition in Dumfries of books made by artists to be held in May/June 2009.

The brief read like this...

"We are inviting submissions on the theme of PLACE, IDENTITY AND MEMORY. The Exhibition's theme is one, not three, but it is one that is reached by three initial routes, which are often seen in isolation. Where Identity, Place and Memory meet, mingle and reflect each other is a fruitful territory, one that is sometimes expressed particularly potently in the book form. We are intrigued to open out the visual poetry in this theme. All submissions must be centred on books or projected books, but can include clearly associated art works. Submissions can be of an existing book or books, or a proposal for a new work, backed up by evidence of previous work. Related ideas for book events, workshops or installations are also encouraged. We are interested to present each artist in a context if possible, so multiple exhibits by each artist are acceptable."

At first I thought, "eh?". But after some time I realised that my work on my cafe exhibition was a starting point.

My idea came out looking like this...


And my text...

"My proposal for Place, Identity & Memory is to create 3 unique books using mainly fabric. These books will take the style of a journal using St Monans and my own journey as an artist as inspiration. My aim is to convey my feelings for the place I have made my home and where I am raising my child. I want to explore the landscape, seascape and architecture of the village. But most importantly I want explore what it means to the people who live here - in a village that changes dramatically with the seasons. Not just the weather and the light but the residents too. The books will include hand stitched images and include additional attached items. I want the books to feel like a collection of items bound together as one, perhaps dated like a diary. All the books can be handled freely. I also want to include the design work which leads to the finished pieces. I work with paper sketchbooks, which are sometimes handmade. These contain samples, photos, notes and ideas. I hope that by showing the supporting design work with the finished fabric books I will add to the viewers understanding of the journey I (and the village) have taken."

This is the first exhibition I have made a proposal for. The first written statement, apart from my ramblings on here...

It was rejected.

But I still aim to work through the proposal. I need to focus on one idea and explore it fully. A New Year resolution for 2009.

And so I have closely read my new book, Location Location...


Of course all my doodles, mindmaps and ramblings are noted in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...