Friday, 9 November 2007

Doodles - Lesson 2 complete


I have mixed feelings about this piece, but overall I like it!

Its 6"x4"

I transferred the design onto water soluble paper and then back stitched it onto a piece of pink painted fabric calico. I chose pink as it suited the girly pictures. I used Perle No. 8.

However like the first doodle stitching I struggled to evenly stitch through paper. After washing the paper off my back stitches were very uneven. So I whipped it (which added to the stitching time!).

I then started to add some random blanket/buttonhole stitches over the figure but wanted to use my Lumiere paints again... this is where I went overboard and it all got abit comic book and garish. To soften it abit I used a trick I learnt in my City & Guild classes... add a bit of net! Luckily I had some black net left over from (nearly) Toddler Girl's tutu.

I added some seed stitches to the bottles and satin stitch to the background. I backed the piece with a piece of dark blue denim (I would have preferred handmade black felt but I didn't have any big enough...)

Overall I like the piece. Its retained a doodle like quality. However I don't like stitching through paper and I would like to add more to the bottles....

Now on to lesson 3 and 4!

oh.. and I'm still adding to my Lesson 1 piece...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...