Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Doodles - Lesson 3

Lesson 3 of my online Doodling Designs course involves making a stamp using a doodle as inspiration.

I used my original twig doodle and isolated a small motif.

I used my Speedball starter kit to make a small 3" x 3" stamp. Its my first time carving a stamp so I started small!

I used it to stamp a repeat pattern across some white cotton. I used Setacolor fabric paint in green.


The paint wasn't very thick and left different prints. I applied the paint to the stamp with a brayer for all of them apart from the very bottom left hand print where I dipped the stamp in the paint... I quite liked this quicker, more rough and ready approach.

I had planned to add more colour to this design but instead I used a black pen and doodled directly onto the fabric. I then finished the lesson off by backing it with Timtex and creating a 6"x4" postcard.


I'm really pleased with the result and enjoyed carving the stamp. It's got me thing about doing a whole alphabet. I've always wanted a set of alphabet stampers but have never splashed the cash on one... maybe I could make my own.

oh dear... yet another project.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the way you doodled something different around each stamp - it looks great

Barbara Cheeseman said...

I do like the combination of printing and drawing. And its interesting how a print of a small, almost random part of a doodle can make a significant design. The same thing happens with rotations. Have you tried those?
Thank you for the nice words on my blog!

Vivian said...

very creative design ... an interesting figure & variations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...